|“||And Red Claw is the biggest, meanest Sharptooth of them all!||”|
— Chomper describing Red Claw to Grandpa Longneck
Red Claw, voiced by Pete Sepenuk, is a character in The Land Before Time TV series. He is a Tyrannosaurus Rex, One of many creatures in the series referred to as a "Sharptooth" by the characters. He serves as the main antagonist in the show. Red Claw is identifiable by the long red scar extending from his left eye down to the side of his body and arm to his claw. He has two raptor minions named Screech and Thud, who's species are nicknamed "Fast Biters". According to Chomper and Ruby, Red Claw is the biggest and meanest Sharptooth of all.
RedClaw Has Not Gotten Much Merchandise like the LBT characters but he has one merchandise in LBT Board Game called:Escape From Red Claw!
Sharptooth and Red Claw
Many fans think that Red Claw might be a relative of Sharptooth, the villain of the first film. Some even say he might be the original sharptooth himself, or one of the many Tyrannosaurus that were defeated by Littlefoot and his friends throughout the film series, or even the Original Sharptooth's brother. His injured claw, which gives him his name, supports this theory, as many of the T-rexes defeated by the Gang fell off a cliff, making such an injury very likely assuming survival.
There is some evidence supporting this claim, as both Red Claw and the original sharptooth both have injured eyes and are especially feared for their kind. And as mentioned above, if he really is the original Sharptooth, Red Claw may have gotten his namesake feature when Littlefoot and his friends pushed a boulder on him in the first movie.
Red Claw and his minions are also noted for separating Chomper and Ruby from their families, similarly to how the original Sharptooth orphaned Littlefoot. Red Claw's right eye may be a result of the thorn striking it (as thorns can be poisonous), and if he also was the Meanest Sharptooth, his scar may have been from falling off a cliff in Secret of the Saurus Rock.
This is unlikely however, because the original Sharptooth sank into the deep end of the pond that Littlefoot and his friends pushed him into during the first film. Because he was most likely unconscious, he could not have swam to the surface; also in The Land Before Time Universe, sharpteeth aren't considered to be good swimmers let alone the Tyrannosaurids. There is also the explanation between both characters having different coloration (both body coating and eyes) as within The Land Before Time universe most male Tyrannosaurus are a dark okra green, but it's possible that Red-Claw could be a Tarbosaurus which is closely related to Tyrannosaurus and is also dubbed as Tyrannosaurus. Better for it's uncanny comparison. To further explain this theory nothing is known about the original Sharptooth's history other than during the events of the film and in the book and has no evidence to assume he had any relatives, but it would be safe to assume that if Sharptooth did have any siblings or any kind they'd be of the colors scheme as him (this being proven by the conclusion of Cera, Ducky and Petrie in comparison with their siblings).
It is possible, though, that Red Claw might instead be the Sharptooth from the film The Land Before Time VIII: The Big Freeze. This Sharptooth falls over a cliff after being hit by a log thrown by Mr. Thicknose. It might have survived, but with the a large scar that Red Claw has. This Sharptooth is also of more comparable colouring to Red Claw.
The Television Series
Red Claw and his Fast Biters, Screech and Thud, only appeared in the Land Before Time's television show. In the Timeline of it, Red Claw was chasing the dinosaurs in the Mysterious Beyond before the television show.
He and his two Fast Biters appeared in:
- Return to Hanging Rock (seen at Hanging Rock)
From the time of debut within the series, Red Claw has met up with a lot of conflict within being the primary villain and most ferocious Sharptooth to the franchise as many veteran LBT fans look poorly on Red Claw's performance. As when it comes to other Sharpteeth that have appeared within the franchise, fans consider Red Claw to be somewhat of a joke and doesn't hold much to being considered a true Land Before Time villain, but only as something as similar as a minority, this can be given to by Red Claw's lack abnormal abilities as seen in the previous sharpteeth of earlier movies and the background of his history and motives and lack of appearances in most episodes. Some fans have accused of Red Claw just being there to put in the role of the villain.
According to TV Tropes, Red Claw will never live up to his status of being the "Biggest and Meanest Sharptooth" in the Mysterious Beyond.
- In the TV series, Chomper says that Red Claw is the biggest Sharptooth of all. Tyrannosaurus Rex was once believed to be the biggest meat-eating dinosaur, but this was proven wrong when Giganotosaurus was discovered, and new estimates of the size of Spinosaurus. There are even other theropod that was bigger than Tyrannosaurus, that being Carcharodontosaurus.
- Chomper also says that Red Claw can't see the characters if they're still. Though not applied to previous T-Rexes throughout the series, this reflects the theory of T-Rex's vision based on movement from the film Jurassic Park.
- Red Claw's scar is similar to that of two characters of fiction.
- In the 90s Land of the Lost TV series, there is a Tyrannosaurus who had a scar going across his right eye. earning him the name "Scarface". The only difference between the two is that Red Claw is able to see through both eyes.
- Red Claw's scar going across his left eye is similar to that of Disney's The Lion King main villain, Scar, brother of Mufasa and uncle of Simba.
- Red Claw is one of only three characters to have gotten sick. the others were Grandpa Longneck in Land Before Time IV and Petrie in Land Before Time IX.
- Red Claw's eyes are colored differently. His left eye is red, while his right eye is yellow.
- Screech and Thud may be siblings, though this is currently unconfirmed.
- An Utahraptor looks like Screech appear in the episode The Spooky Nighttime Adventure.
- A noticeable error its that Screech and Thud have two fingers, but in real life all raptors had three. But this hasn't wrong otherwise after the recent discovery of Baluar, a raptor that sported two fingers and two sickle-clawed talons on each foot.
- Red Claw is the second tyrannosaurus that Topsy has battled. The first being Chomper's Father. In fact, Red Claw and Topsy battling could be referring to a real T-Rex and Triceratops being natural born enemies.