The Mysterious Beyond is a commonly recurring location in The Land Before Time. As the name implies, it is the land beyond the Great Valley that is shrouded in mystery. While it is certain there are many Leaf Eaters in the Mysterious Beyond, they are very rarely seen and Sharpteeth are extremely common.
Most of the Mysterious Beyond is dry with few plants, but more recently less barren areas have been seen, some just as fertile as the Great Valley itself. In most of the movies and many episodes of the TV series, Littlefoot and his friends have to travel through parts of the Mysterious Beyond to reach their goal. The Mysterious Beyond has been seen in every single film, and the only film the main characters did not leave the Great Valley was in The Land Before Time XI: Invasion of the Tinysauruses.
- Areas from first film: Likely not known as the Mysterious Beyond among residents of the valley, as most came from here. As shown in The Land Before Time X: The Great Longneck Migration, it was once fertile but the leaf famine reduced most of it to a wasteland. It is unknown if it has recovered.
- Skeleton Area: Seen in The Land Before Time II: The Great Valley Adventure and The Land Before Time III: The Time of the Great Giving. A vast area of skeletons and stagnant water, it contains the basins that water flowing towards the Thundering Falls was trapped in. It is located on the other side of the Great Wall.
- Desert from IV: A desert littered with jutting rock formations. Beyond it is a lake with waterfalls pouring into it and a line of mountains filled with caves bordering the Land of Mists.
- Desert from V: A desert area that stretches from the Great Valley to the Big Water. The film states that locusts desolated the landscape, but this would mean there were never any trees as no woody remains were found.
- The Mysterious Island: An area far into The Mysterious Beyond. It is accessed by crossing the Big Water. It is a very heavily wooded area, with cliffs surrounding the island. It is home to Chomper's mother and father, and is also home to a large Giganotosaurus.
- Abandoned area of the Mysterious Beyond in VI : A slightly dry area, with multiples canyons. There is also a forest with massive redwood trees where Saurus Rock happens to be located.
- Smoking Mountains: A group of volcanoes just outside the valley. The only known named one is Threehorn Peak.
- Desolate area: A wasteland similar to that of the original that appears in The Land Before Time VIII: The Big Freeze, The Land Before Time XI: Invasion of the Tinysauruses, The Land Before Time XII: The Great Day of the Flyers, The Land Before Time XIII: The Wisdom of Friends and some episodes of the TV series. A Tyrannosaurus, a duo of Utahraptor, a Spinosaurus, and a pack of four Baryonyx inhabit this large area.
- Area from IX: A lush area with a river running through it from the Great Valley to the Big Water.
- Area from X: A varied area that is mainly fertile. It stretches from the Great Valley to the Longneck Crater.
- Area from XIII: Mostly comprised of plains, located beyond the desolate area. Leads to the mountains surrounding Berry Valley.
- Jungle area: A lush forest just outside the valley. Appears in some episodes of the TV series.
- Desert from XIV: A dry, sandy shrubland peppered with large, stone formations that stretches from the Great Valley to the Fire Mountain. The area resembles the deserts in the southwestern United States, and is occasionally hit with sandstorms. It is inhabited by a male Carnotaurus. Some Leaf Eaters live here as well.
Sharpteeth in the Mysterious Beyond
- Tyrannosaurus: Red Claw
- Utahraptor: Screech and Thud, Fast Biters (The Lonely Journey), Sharptooth Mom
- Deinonychus: Fast Biters (The Stone of Cold Fire)
Area from first film
The Mysterious Island
- Tyrannosaurus: Sharptooth (The Big Freeze), possibly Red Claw
- Utahraptor: Fast Biters (The Invasion of the Tinysauruses)
- Spinosaurus: Sail-Backed Sharptooth
- Baryonyx: Hookthumb Sharpteeth
Abandoned area of the Mysterious Beyond in VI
- Allosaurus: Brown Sharptooth (The Secret of Saurus Rock)
- Tyrannosaurus: Green Sharptooth (The Secret of Saurus Rock)
Area from IX
Area from X
Icky Gooey Place
- Sarcosuchus: Belly Dragger (The Great Longneck Migration)
- Tyrannosaurus: Cool Gray Sharptooth (The Great Longneck Migration)