Papa Sharptooth is a character in The Land Before Time franchise. He is a Tyrannosaurus rex, and is also the father of Chomper, and is the mate of Chomper's Mother. He was formerly one of the secondary antagonists in The Land Before Time II: The Great Valley Adventure and later became a supporting protagonist in The Land Before Time V: The Mysterious Island.
Papa Sharptooth is dark green in color and very similar in appearance to the Sharptooth from the first film, aside from having two functional eyes, and being a different shade. Not much is known about him, though he has been shown to be very protective of his son Chomper, breaking into the Great Valley to search for him after his egg was stolen by Littlefoot and his friends.
Some humor is gleaned from Papa Sharptooth's concern over his son's bizarre behavior. On seeing Chomper gathering plants for Littlefoot and the others, he assumes that Chomper is collecting plants for himself and says, by subtitles, "Sometimes I worry about that boy." He has another humorous moment when he meets Littlefoot, who after hiding in the stinky flowers, smells like them. He sniffs them and says to his wife, "Anything that smells like that couldn't taste very good, anyway!"
Initially antagonistic towards the main characters, he now shares his wife's promise not to eat them, since Littlefoot risked his own life to save Chomper.
The Land Before Time II: The Great Valley Adventure
In The Land Before Time II: The Great Valley Adventure, he first appears with his mate, moving into the Great Valley after the Great Wall was destroyed, to look for their egg which contained Chomper. The pair find the gang after they had just escaped Ozzy and Strut. The pair chases them, but the gang escape, after Mama Sharptooth nearly ate Littlefoot and Cera.
Later, Papa Sharptooth finds the gang after they managed to knock out his mate. He appears in front of Cera and Spike. He nearly ate Spike, who was frozen with fear, before Ducky jumps onto him and starts pulling on his nostrils and jumping on his head. Soon, his mate recovers and accidentally bites him on the snout, trying to eat Ducky. They both get into a fight before turning to eat Ducky and Petrie who are on the ground. Just then, the adult herbivorous dinosaurs intervene. Chomper's Mother then tussles with Littlefoot's grandparents while he battles Cera's father. They are driven out of the area by the herd.
Later, as they are disappointed that they could not find their son's egg, they come across Littlefoot and their son Chomper. Littlefoot gets his leg stuck and the pair prepare to kill him and Chomper. But they soon realize that Chomper is their son. They leave with their son. But later, Ozzy and Strut capture Littlefoot and take him to the Great Wall. Chomper went to save Littlefoot but was captured as well. Papa and his mate were enraged to see that Ozzy and Strut captured his son, and that they were about kill him and Littlefoot. They then chase the egg stealers out of the valley, and Chomper follows.
The Land Before Time V: The Mysterious Island
In the fifth film, he fights alongside his mate to protect their son from the Plated Sharptooth. Papa Sharptooth indirectly killed the Giganotosaurus (Plated Sharptooth). He knocked it over with his tail and the Sharptooth fell into the sea. It was washed away, and presumably drowned afterwards.
While the four other children moved away from him a bit, nervous about being so close to a Sharptooth, Spike didn't seem to mind at all.
- He is similar in coloration to the Tyrannosaur Buck from The Lost World: Jurassic Park while also, along with his family, having a similar role in the second film.
- He and his wife are the first Sharpteeth who are sensitive to what prey they hunt and eat after he sniffs Littlefoot and his friends.
- In The Land Before Time V: The Mysterious Island it is revealed that Littlefoot and his friends are more scared of Chomper's father than they are of his mother (possibly due to the former's resemblance to the original Sharptooth), despite that his wife tends to act more fierce which references to how paleontological thought has dictated that female T-rexes were larger and more fierce than males. On the other hand, Mama Sharptooth isn't particularly bothered by Chomper's preference in friends when she sees Littlefoot and him playing together. This maybe more likely by the fact that Papa Sharptooth seems more prone to hunger and follows his instincts like most other sharpteeth.
- He may or may not be the Sharptooth that appeared near the start of The Great Valley Adventure. Also, in the intro of The Land Before Time IV: Journey through the Mists, another Tyrannosaurus is seen chasing a group of small dinosaurs. It's coloration is the same, but it doesn't make another appearance afterwards.
- His appearance is very similar to that of the original Sharptooth from the first movie. By coincidence, on the VHS cover, one of the original concepts for Sharptooth were put in the cover to represent Chomper's father.
- He and his wife are similar to the Swimming Sharptooth from the fourth movie, as they chased the villains away (in their case it was Ozzy and Strut, in the Swimming Sharptooth's case it was Dil).
- The original version of Sharptooth Attack (which plays when the pair attacks) is only used in The Land Before Time II: The Great Valley Adventure, but a revised version is used when the Fast biter pack attacks in The Land Before Time III: The Time of the Great Giving and when the Plated Sharptooth attacks in The Land Before Time V: The Mysterious Island. The original version is not available in the movie's soundtrack, and cannot be found online.